Sunday, August 7, 2011

More Research and Books

About this time in the process I felt I needed more input and another or better source of information. I had received a gift certificate from Barnes and Noble Books as a gift, so I thought I would add to my reference material. The book title that I kept seeing as a reference in many of the on-line videos and blogs that I had been researching was "Guitarmaking Tradition and Technology" by William R. Cumpiano and Jonathan D. Natelson. So I went to the local Barnes and Noble book store to see if they had a copy. They didn't, so I ordered it on-line.
Third book for reference.
When this book arrived I jumped into it the same way I had the previous two. It was slightly larger and after reviewing all three I think this book was the most complete. The authors wrote about building both a steel string guitar, like I was building, and also a classical style at the same time. This was a little confusing especially when trying to find information later about a specific construction technique. Again, I would have to say the logical and best thing for a first time guitar builder would be to pick one source and stick with it. I would probably recommend this book as that single source with one exception, the neck joint. I will talk more about that later when I get to that part of the construction. This book is not quite as visual as the other two, no color pictures and the black and white images look a bit dated but the information is solid and more detailed.

No comments:

Post a Comment